Summer time can be the best and worst time to own a horse. The days are longer and vacations days mean more time in the saddle. If you are worried about the extreme heat and how it will affect your horse, read on!
Precision Joint Solution recommends these top five tips to keep you and your horses cool this summer!
1. Provide adequate cool water! Make sure your horse has an ample source of cool water. Buckets hanging in the pasture might get warm making your horse less likely to drink it. If possible, have your water close to shade so it will not heat us as quickly.
2. Provide shade! Not everyone can afford a covered run in with fans but any access to shade will help your horses stay cool. If you do not have any access to shade, consider turning your horses out in the evenings instead of the heat of day.
3. Electrolytes! Horses in especially warm climates or horses that are working may benefit from electrolytes. Good electrolytes will encourage your horse to drink more while keeping him hydrated.
4. Grooming! Keep older furry horses coat’s clipped short to keep them from overheating. Younger horses who are getting too warm can usually benefit from being hosed off. Make sure you use a scraper to get excess water off. Otherwise the horse doesn’t get the cooling effects.
5. Avoid sunburn! This is true for you and your horses. Lighter horses as well as horses with white muzzles and socks are at risk for sunburn. Using fly masks and fly scrim sheets can help keep the sun off. Equine sunscreen is also a great option for small vulnerable areas.
We hope you and your horse have a wonderful summer. Keep checking back for monthly tips on health and stable management. Happy riding!
The Precision Team